09 June 2010

I Can Grow Stuff! Part 1.

Ok, so we bought our house in January 2008 and we didn't do much the first year.  We were soooooo burnt out from everything we did at my old house that the last thing we wanted to do when we moved here was WORK.  So, slowly but surely, we bought and planted a ton of stuff.  

This year, I decided to go one step further - vegetable gardening.  Some stuff is working, some isn't.  Hello,  Basil, I love you.


Ok, so I didn't just plant Basil, I planted Tomatoes, as well.  You see how well these mama's are um...NOT GROWING.  I planted these at the same time I planted the Basil and the Zucchini (up next.)  Dan said we can buy some plants if we want to.  Harumph.  

Ok, so I can move on from the tomato plants.  I can.  I will move on from the tomato plants.  I won't dwell on them.  I don't need to dwell on them.  I will talk instead about my new love.  My zucchini.  Hello, do you SEE all of these flowers??  Holy cow!  So excited about growing zucchini!  Yes, I'm overly excited about a vegetable.  I'm ok with that.  I planted half of these in the pot and the other half I planted in the ground.  That was more me being lazy and not wanting to put down one seed at a time, so I just dumped half the package of seeds in the container and the other half in a pile of leftover dirt.  :)  It worked!  Check these babies out:





































Moving on...to the things I'm really good at growing.  Want to know a secret?  Irises and Daylilies are REALLY easy to grow.  That's right, really easy.  Thus why the yard looks so pretty right now!  I stuck these in the backyard this Spring and they took off.  I love, love, love the color.  Excuse me, Miss Daylily?  Will you bloom in October for my bouquet please?  Some may call you common, I call you beautiful.

This is more of the backyard area.  It looked really nice when we first put mulch and all back there but unfortunately, the monsoon-esque rain killed the beauty when it took all that nice and pretty mulch and swept it into piles and into the woods.  Ah well, the plants still look awesome!

Grasses, Daylilies and my favorite - Curly Willow.  Note my laziness - some of the stuff never got moved out of the pots.  Just moved them to the back, placed them around our rusted metal "tree" we found for $10 at a yard sale and called it a day.


Here's another Curly Willow.  So pretty.  Oh and my new bird bath.  Hehe...I totally asked for a birdbath and my Mom?  She rocks.  She bought me a birdbath for my birthday.  Yay!


Seedum!  The greatest plant ever.  Want some?  Snap off a plant at ground level.  It will grow back next year.  Pull off 3" of leaves, stick it in the ground and next Spring?  See Seedum grow!





















Next up - Bushes, Grasses and more pretty and hardy flowers.  

No comments:

09 June 2010

I Can Grow Stuff! Part 1.

Ok, so we bought our house in January 2008 and we didn't do much the first year.  We were soooooo burnt out from everything we did at my old house that the last thing we wanted to do when we moved here was WORK.  So, slowly but surely, we bought and planted a ton of stuff.  

This year, I decided to go one step further - vegetable gardening.  Some stuff is working, some isn't.  Hello,  Basil, I love you.


Ok, so I didn't just plant Basil, I planted Tomatoes, as well.  You see how well these mama's are um...NOT GROWING.  I planted these at the same time I planted the Basil and the Zucchini (up next.)  Dan said we can buy some plants if we want to.  Harumph.  

Ok, so I can move on from the tomato plants.  I can.  I will move on from the tomato plants.  I won't dwell on them.  I don't need to dwell on them.  I will talk instead about my new love.  My zucchini.  Hello, do you SEE all of these flowers??  Holy cow!  So excited about growing zucchini!  Yes, I'm overly excited about a vegetable.  I'm ok with that.  I planted half of these in the pot and the other half I planted in the ground.  That was more me being lazy and not wanting to put down one seed at a time, so I just dumped half the package of seeds in the container and the other half in a pile of leftover dirt.  :)  It worked!  Check these babies out:





































Moving on...to the things I'm really good at growing.  Want to know a secret?  Irises and Daylilies are REALLY easy to grow.  That's right, really easy.  Thus why the yard looks so pretty right now!  I stuck these in the backyard this Spring and they took off.  I love, love, love the color.  Excuse me, Miss Daylily?  Will you bloom in October for my bouquet please?  Some may call you common, I call you beautiful.

This is more of the backyard area.  It looked really nice when we first put mulch and all back there but unfortunately, the monsoon-esque rain killed the beauty when it took all that nice and pretty mulch and swept it into piles and into the woods.  Ah well, the plants still look awesome!

Grasses, Daylilies and my favorite - Curly Willow.  Note my laziness - some of the stuff never got moved out of the pots.  Just moved them to the back, placed them around our rusted metal "tree" we found for $10 at a yard sale and called it a day.


Here's another Curly Willow.  So pretty.  Oh and my new bird bath.  Hehe...I totally asked for a birdbath and my Mom?  She rocks.  She bought me a birdbath for my birthday.  Yay!


Seedum!  The greatest plant ever.  Want some?  Snap off a plant at ground level.  It will grow back next year.  Pull off 3" of leaves, stick it in the ground and next Spring?  See Seedum grow!





















Next up - Bushes, Grasses and more pretty and hardy flowers.  

No comments: