06 August 2010

North Carolina Rules of Getting Married

This was too amusing to pass up.  Last night I was looking online for what we will need to get our marriage license.  Yes, we're getting closer to the actual date, so now I'm looking for all of that "official" information rather than all of the fun stuff!

In the Great State of North Carolina 


You Can:
Get married to your first cousin
Get married at 14 (with a court order)
Get married at 16 (with your parents consent


You Can Not:
Get married to someone of the same sex
Have a Common Law Marriage
Marry your double first cousin.
.....Eh hem.  Double first cousins occur when the couple is related through both parents.  For instance, Jerry marries Sally and Jerry's sister marries Sally's brother.  Their children are double first cousins.
    And the ringer, from 'Dumb Laws of North Carolina':
    A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent.
    Oy.  


    1 comment:

    Ms. Teacher said...

    Ahahaha - thanks for the information! I was so thinking I might marry a double cousin. Darn.
    I am going to have to look up the rules in my state now!

    06 August 2010

    North Carolina Rules of Getting Married

    This was too amusing to pass up.  Last night I was looking online for what we will need to get our marriage license.  Yes, we're getting closer to the actual date, so now I'm looking for all of that "official" information rather than all of the fun stuff!

    In the Great State of North Carolina 


    You Can:
    Get married to your first cousin
    Get married at 14 (with a court order)
    Get married at 16 (with your parents consent


    You Can Not:
    Get married to someone of the same sex
    Have a Common Law Marriage
    Marry your double first cousin.
    .....Eh hem.  Double first cousins occur when the couple is related through both parents.  For instance, Jerry marries Sally and Jerry's sister marries Sally's brother.  Their children are double first cousins.
      And the ringer, from 'Dumb Laws of North Carolina':
      A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent.
      Oy.  


      1 comment:

      Ms. Teacher said...

      Ahahaha - thanks for the information! I was so thinking I might marry a double cousin. Darn.
      I am going to have to look up the rules in my state now!