08 October 2010

The Woman Behind the Magic

For approximately the past 5 years, my Mom has been planning my wedding.  She has quietly picked up things here and there that she thought we could use in the planning for the wedding.  She put together things we may want to use.  She was prepared for the day that Dan would propose.  She knew it would happen and boy did she ever have some restraint over those 5 years (1 1/2 years into dating, natch) not to say, "why aren't you getting married already!?!?!?."  


I am so glad to have her by my side through this planning process.  She has always been my biggest cheerleader (in her own way because neither of us are the cheerleading type) and through planning my wedding, she has shown me yet another wonderful side of her.


She was the first one I wanted to tell because I knew just how excited she was going to be.  The woman loves a good party!  Since January 30th, she has been my side-kick in this whole planning process.  We decided we wanted to get married in St James where my parents live.  Although she never showed that much emotion about it, I know she is so pleased that we decided to use her community for our wedding weekend.  Honestly, I couldn't think of a better place to do it.



Mom has been awesome through the planning process.  She was there to visit the venue when we wanted to come into town the day after she and Dad got home from their vacation.  She was there to go dress shopping with me.  She was with me when we found THE dress.  She was with me when I cried over losing THE dress.  She said, "Ok, where's another dress shop?"  We looked it up in Garmin and off we went.


She then drove from Burlington to Raleigh (to another dress shop), back to Burlington when I got a call that I left my bible, I mean my bridal binder at that horrid store.  We drove back to Raleigh and went to three other dress shops that day and into the evening.  She sat with me on the computer making plans for the next day when she was supposed to have already gone home.  She missed things she had planned to be with me until I was happy and until we had found that dress.  She was with me at our second shop of the day on Wednesday when we found THE REAL dress. She held it together pretty well, I think she was just happy that was over!!



She came to every. single. dress. fitting. (Except that one that won't be mentioned....)  There were a lot of them.  She lives 2:45 away from the dress shop.  Though secretly I think she liked coming to Raleigh to go shopping.  She dealt with my 5-20 emails per day, some much less sane than others.  Some coming rapid-fire as I changed my mind multiple times throughout the day.


She called the florist 18 times.  She sat through multiple florist appointments with me and with Dan and me.  She and I laughed about our crazy florist.  She ate cake with me.  We did a menu tasting with Dad and Dan.  She went to 29 different stores looking for items to add to the decoration to make sure our ceremony and reception look perfect.  She found linens even though the Club provides linens, because she wanted it to be perfect.  She went out of her way to do so many things to make this day wonderful.  She missed multiple appointments, outings, etc because of various visits - mine to Southport, hers to Raleigh.


She let her friends in Southport throw me a shower.  She drove to Ohio for another shower for our family and Ohio friends.  She has done more than I could ever have even thought to have asked her to do.

My Mom is the woman I strive to be.  
I can not thank her enough for everything.  
I also can't wait to share my wedding day with her.


3 comments:

Erin said...

Awww...this made me teary.

Yay for moms! I'm sure you will have lots of wedding pictures of my own mother making strange gestures like that one you just posted. :)

Can't wait!!

Christine said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom! You've got me teary eyed!

08 October 2010

The Woman Behind the Magic

For approximately the past 5 years, my Mom has been planning my wedding.  She has quietly picked up things here and there that she thought we could use in the planning for the wedding.  She put together things we may want to use.  She was prepared for the day that Dan would propose.  She knew it would happen and boy did she ever have some restraint over those 5 years (1 1/2 years into dating, natch) not to say, "why aren't you getting married already!?!?!?."  


I am so glad to have her by my side through this planning process.  She has always been my biggest cheerleader (in her own way because neither of us are the cheerleading type) and through planning my wedding, she has shown me yet another wonderful side of her.


She was the first one I wanted to tell because I knew just how excited she was going to be.  The woman loves a good party!  Since January 30th, she has been my side-kick in this whole planning process.  We decided we wanted to get married in St James where my parents live.  Although she never showed that much emotion about it, I know she is so pleased that we decided to use her community for our wedding weekend.  Honestly, I couldn't think of a better place to do it.



Mom has been awesome through the planning process.  She was there to visit the venue when we wanted to come into town the day after she and Dad got home from their vacation.  She was there to go dress shopping with me.  She was with me when we found THE dress.  She was with me when I cried over losing THE dress.  She said, "Ok, where's another dress shop?"  We looked it up in Garmin and off we went.


She then drove from Burlington to Raleigh (to another dress shop), back to Burlington when I got a call that I left my bible, I mean my bridal binder at that horrid store.  We drove back to Raleigh and went to three other dress shops that day and into the evening.  She sat with me on the computer making plans for the next day when she was supposed to have already gone home.  She missed things she had planned to be with me until I was happy and until we had found that dress.  She was with me at our second shop of the day on Wednesday when we found THE REAL dress. She held it together pretty well, I think she was just happy that was over!!



She came to every. single. dress. fitting. (Except that one that won't be mentioned....)  There were a lot of them.  She lives 2:45 away from the dress shop.  Though secretly I think she liked coming to Raleigh to go shopping.  She dealt with my 5-20 emails per day, some much less sane than others.  Some coming rapid-fire as I changed my mind multiple times throughout the day.


She called the florist 18 times.  She sat through multiple florist appointments with me and with Dan and me.  She and I laughed about our crazy florist.  She ate cake with me.  We did a menu tasting with Dad and Dan.  She went to 29 different stores looking for items to add to the decoration to make sure our ceremony and reception look perfect.  She found linens even though the Club provides linens, because she wanted it to be perfect.  She went out of her way to do so many things to make this day wonderful.  She missed multiple appointments, outings, etc because of various visits - mine to Southport, hers to Raleigh.


She let her friends in Southport throw me a shower.  She drove to Ohio for another shower for our family and Ohio friends.  She has done more than I could ever have even thought to have asked her to do.

My Mom is the woman I strive to be.  
I can not thank her enough for everything.  
I also can't wait to share my wedding day with her.


3 comments:

Erin said...

Awww...this made me teary.

Yay for moms! I'm sure you will have lots of wedding pictures of my own mother making strange gestures like that one you just posted. :)

Can't wait!!

Christine said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom! You've got me teary eyed!