17 October 2009

5k...really!!?!

This is soooo not related to scrapbooking or Close To My Heart...AT ALL.  But it was an awesome experience and I wanted to write about it.

Oh yes, really, a 5k.  For 8 weeks now I have been training for my first 5k.  I did the Couch to 5k plan which I found randomly 9 weeks ago on Facebook.  I started the training plan, didn't do everything the way they suggested but did most of it.  It was easy the first couple of weeks then it got really hard.  I had never actually run a full 5k before today.  Well, today at the NC Oyster Festival in Ocean Isle, NC, I ran the entire thing!  My time was 35:17.  I was proud because that meant I did my miles under 12 minutes.  I figured I would end up with 12 minute miles.  This was really exciting because I had never done anything like this before.  I used to play sports in college - Field Hockey and Rugby - but I never just RAN.  BTW...it's been 11 years since College. ;-) 

This weekend I came down to my parents house on Thursday evening.  On Friday, my Mom and I played 9 holes of golf before the sky opened up on us.  We went down to Ocean Isle (45 minutes away) and picked up our pre-registration forms.  We also got Mom registered to walk the event with Drew's girlfriend, Michelle.  Drew and Michelle flew in from New Orleans at 11:30pm Friday night.  We all got up at 6:15am on Saturday to head down to Ocean Isle Beach.  We got there at 7:30 and the race started at 8pm.  Mom and Michelle walked the race, Drew and I were doing the 5k and Dad was cheering us on from the sidelines. 

Drew took off at the beginning of the race and about 1/2 mile in, he passes me and yells, "I went the wrong way!"  He had followed the 10k guys and done that race.  I went on with my race and proudly ran the whole thing.  Surprisingly, no pain, no serious breathing issues either.  There were two stops with kids on the side of the road passing out water which was really cute.  We ran down first street about 1/8th mile and then turned onto Monroe.  At Second Street, we turned right and went for about a mile and a half.  Then, we turned right onto Raleigh Street and right again onto First Street to complete the loop.  I think my music definitely helped.  It was an upbeat mix I put together Friday night.  At First street, you could once again see the water tower.  That was the landmark for the finish line.  I watched that for a loooong mile and a half.  It felt great at the end.  I can't believe I actually ran the whole entire thing!  My brother (the marathon runner and tri-athlete) finished 2 minutes after I did.  He had finished the 10k 2 minutes after I finished the 5k....  Had he run the 5k, he probably would have come in first or second.

I can't wait to do another run sometime this winter.  I hope to do it with some of my runner  friends!  Next time, my goal is to come in under 35 minutes.  :)

I'm amazed I was able to train so fast and also amazed that I was able to finish the race with no issues.  I am so very excited about next time!!


Mom, Michelle, Me




















Drew and Michelle

















My brother Drew and me.  Yeah, he's an odd bird.




















Dad.  :)




















Drew, Michelle and Mom

2 comments:

Kellei said...

Yay for you! My goal this past year was to run a 5K until the doctor said no running...boo hiss! I guess I will live vicariously through you!! :) Congrats on an awesome achievement! When's the 8K? ;)

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! Congrats

17 October 2009

5k...really!!?!

This is soooo not related to scrapbooking or Close To My Heart...AT ALL.  But it was an awesome experience and I wanted to write about it.

Oh yes, really, a 5k.  For 8 weeks now I have been training for my first 5k.  I did the Couch to 5k plan which I found randomly 9 weeks ago on Facebook.  I started the training plan, didn't do everything the way they suggested but did most of it.  It was easy the first couple of weeks then it got really hard.  I had never actually run a full 5k before today.  Well, today at the NC Oyster Festival in Ocean Isle, NC, I ran the entire thing!  My time was 35:17.  I was proud because that meant I did my miles under 12 minutes.  I figured I would end up with 12 minute miles.  This was really exciting because I had never done anything like this before.  I used to play sports in college - Field Hockey and Rugby - but I never just RAN.  BTW...it's been 11 years since College. ;-) 

This weekend I came down to my parents house on Thursday evening.  On Friday, my Mom and I played 9 holes of golf before the sky opened up on us.  We went down to Ocean Isle (45 minutes away) and picked up our pre-registration forms.  We also got Mom registered to walk the event with Drew's girlfriend, Michelle.  Drew and Michelle flew in from New Orleans at 11:30pm Friday night.  We all got up at 6:15am on Saturday to head down to Ocean Isle Beach.  We got there at 7:30 and the race started at 8pm.  Mom and Michelle walked the race, Drew and I were doing the 5k and Dad was cheering us on from the sidelines. 

Drew took off at the beginning of the race and about 1/2 mile in, he passes me and yells, "I went the wrong way!"  He had followed the 10k guys and done that race.  I went on with my race and proudly ran the whole thing.  Surprisingly, no pain, no serious breathing issues either.  There were two stops with kids on the side of the road passing out water which was really cute.  We ran down first street about 1/8th mile and then turned onto Monroe.  At Second Street, we turned right and went for about a mile and a half.  Then, we turned right onto Raleigh Street and right again onto First Street to complete the loop.  I think my music definitely helped.  It was an upbeat mix I put together Friday night.  At First street, you could once again see the water tower.  That was the landmark for the finish line.  I watched that for a loooong mile and a half.  It felt great at the end.  I can't believe I actually ran the whole entire thing!  My brother (the marathon runner and tri-athlete) finished 2 minutes after I did.  He had finished the 10k 2 minutes after I finished the 5k....  Had he run the 5k, he probably would have come in first or second.

I can't wait to do another run sometime this winter.  I hope to do it with some of my runner  friends!  Next time, my goal is to come in under 35 minutes.  :)

I'm amazed I was able to train so fast and also amazed that I was able to finish the race with no issues.  I am so very excited about next time!!


Mom, Michelle, Me




















Drew and Michelle

















My brother Drew and me.  Yeah, he's an odd bird.




















Dad.  :)




















Drew, Michelle and Mom

2 comments:

Kellei said...

Yay for you! My goal this past year was to run a 5K until the doctor said no running...boo hiss! I guess I will live vicariously through you!! :) Congrats on an awesome achievement! When's the 8K? ;)

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome! Congrats