05 September 2010

Home Projects

It always feels so good to get even the smallest project knocked off the list in the house.  Today we decided we would tackle the pantry.  We have an odd shaped pantry and were given a whopping 3 shelves when the house was built.  I have always wanted to add a few more to give us some space to spread out a bit more.  We also have a lot of electrics I wanted to get off the floor.

The before was everything smooshed onto three shelves and I could never find anything!  Oh, we had tomatoes? I wish I had known that before I went out on a special trip to the store to buy them!!  We also had our crock pots, rice cooker and fondue pot on the floor.  Yuck!

So, we measured (four times) and off we went to Lowe's.  We were looking for the same type of shelves, as well as the extenders we needed to attach the shelves we would add to the wall to the right to the current shelves.  The shelves that were in our pantry were linen shelves by Rubbermaid.  We decided instead of wasting what we already had (even though I am not the biggest fan) we would go with it.  

We purchased two 8'x12" shelves and had them cut to size for the measurements we had taken.  We bought the support braces and wall end brackets separately.  For less than $75 we were out of the store with everything we needed to give us a bunch more space to spread out.

Dan spent the next 3 hours of this beautiful afternoon measuring, leveling, marking and screwing.  I helped when asked...which consisted of holding shelves until my arms felt like they were going to fall off.  Unfortunately once we started putting them up, we found the side shelves were a slight bit too short but we made them work.  Once everything was up, we were both very, very happy.  Hello, organization!!



Ok, it may not look organized from the pictures ... it just looks like we have a LOT of food, huh?  Ha!  I still have to consolidate some of our groceries into air tight containers and that'll knock down some of the boxes in there.  I am so happy with the turnout.  I can actually see what we have now!

Job: Add Shelving and Organize Pantry.  Status: Complete.

No comments:

05 September 2010

Home Projects

It always feels so good to get even the smallest project knocked off the list in the house.  Today we decided we would tackle the pantry.  We have an odd shaped pantry and were given a whopping 3 shelves when the house was built.  I have always wanted to add a few more to give us some space to spread out a bit more.  We also have a lot of electrics I wanted to get off the floor.

The before was everything smooshed onto three shelves and I could never find anything!  Oh, we had tomatoes? I wish I had known that before I went out on a special trip to the store to buy them!!  We also had our crock pots, rice cooker and fondue pot on the floor.  Yuck!

So, we measured (four times) and off we went to Lowe's.  We were looking for the same type of shelves, as well as the extenders we needed to attach the shelves we would add to the wall to the right to the current shelves.  The shelves that were in our pantry were linen shelves by Rubbermaid.  We decided instead of wasting what we already had (even though I am not the biggest fan) we would go with it.  

We purchased two 8'x12" shelves and had them cut to size for the measurements we had taken.  We bought the support braces and wall end brackets separately.  For less than $75 we were out of the store with everything we needed to give us a bunch more space to spread out.

Dan spent the next 3 hours of this beautiful afternoon measuring, leveling, marking and screwing.  I helped when asked...which consisted of holding shelves until my arms felt like they were going to fall off.  Unfortunately once we started putting them up, we found the side shelves were a slight bit too short but we made them work.  Once everything was up, we were both very, very happy.  Hello, organization!!



Ok, it may not look organized from the pictures ... it just looks like we have a LOT of food, huh?  Ha!  I still have to consolidate some of our groceries into air tight containers and that'll knock down some of the boxes in there.  I am so happy with the turnout.  I can actually see what we have now!

Job: Add Shelving and Organize Pantry.  Status: Complete.

No comments: