03 January 2011

The Important Parts

It appears, after writing this one that the Important Parts of the Reception will take more than one blog post.  Why?  Oh, you'll see why.  One word: Dad.  :)

All of us entered the reception area to the same song, Linus and Lucy by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.


Dan's Parents

My Parents
  


Lauren and Tom
ps...isn't the color of Lauren's dress just amazing?
She looked so beautiful!

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan's laughing at my bad attempt at dancing to this song...


  Immediately after being introduced, we went into our first dance.

Listen along....but go back and pause the other song first because I don't know how to make a song end when starting a new one in blogger.  Meh.

We talked through most of the dance...since it was the first chance we really got to talk without people being right next to us or having to pose for pictures.  :)


 

 Leslie and Matt did an amazing job with these pictures and the lighting...GAH!


Here is where I started listening to the lyrics.  Insert ugly "trying not to cry" face.




After our first dance as husband and wife, my Dad got to talk.


Play Me 
and see above about pause...


Dad felt that since his little girl only gets married once, he was going to do it right.  I told him I'd like him to speak at the wedding, naturally and he was more than willing.  I asked him to be nice, only tell one embarrassing story and to keep it short.  Of those three, he kept to the first one.  He actually stated that at the beginning of his speech.  I shall use pictures to tell the story.

He starts off being very, very nice.

Our reactions are just the way you expect a bride and groom to react to a parent speaking at their wedding.

Then, he starts in about my "twin"....  
Check out the face on the DJ...even he is looking worried, wondering where he's headed with this one.

Me thinking, "He's not really going there, is he?"  
Dan thinking, "Who did I just marry!?!??!"

Let me explain.  

When I was a little girl, my parents used to call me Terrible Tilly when I was bad.  This was the nickname they used for me since they never could explain how I could go from being super sweet to super nasty to super sweet so quickly.  Dad went over a few stories about times when Tilly came to visit.  Mostly it had to do with me getting mad at them for being upset with me for me doing something wrong. (Yes, you read that right.)  I would then stomp up to my bedroom, sulk for a while, then come downstairs and act like nothing happened.  Oh yeah, I was an awesome child.  My Dad is super awesome for bringing all of that up at my wedding, too!!

He brings Mom in to discuss how he would get home from a work trip and Mom would tell him to go talk to "his daughter."  

I like the grimace on Dan's face and the, "Oh, no!" on mine.

My Dad's so cute, how can you stay mad at a face like this one?

Until he starts in about the time I pulled on the wheel and drove the car into a cornfield....


And then he got sentimental.  He told this story about how it snowed a foot and a half and at 16 years and one month, I said, "No problem, I can still drive to work."  And drive to work I did.  What I didn't know is what he told everyone; he followed me to work.  He waited a bit to make sure I had left and I wouldn't see him.  He drove all the way to the dog kennel, saw my car was safely in the parking lot and then drove all the way home.  He teared up on this one.  I had no idea he did that....

Even though it was long, even though I made faces and noises and said, "DAD!!!" a few times, his speech really showed his love for me.  It was so special.  I have it on video and I know I'll keep that forever.

Hugs


After Dad's 17 minute speech, my brother brought me a martini.  
He then took the mic.  
Then my MOM took the mic!

I really needed that martini...
See my Mom's reaction in the background?  That was her reaction to Drew taking the microphone.  Apparently she forgot all about that when she decided to take the mic after him and introduce everyone in the Baldwin/McQuaid family.  At the reception.  After my Dad's 18 minute speech.  Oy.

After the Baldwin family had their say, our reception coordinator came up to me and mentioned that we might need to change the timing of a few things because Dad's speech went so long!  

Taking a few deep breaths, we're going to go eat our dinner now, mingle with a few folks and we'll be back for MOH and BM speeches, as well as parent dances.

No comments:

03 January 2011

The Important Parts

It appears, after writing this one that the Important Parts of the Reception will take more than one blog post.  Why?  Oh, you'll see why.  One word: Dad.  :)

All of us entered the reception area to the same song, Linus and Lucy by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.


Dan's Parents

My Parents
  


Lauren and Tom
ps...isn't the color of Lauren's dress just amazing?
She looked so beautiful!

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan's laughing at my bad attempt at dancing to this song...


  Immediately after being introduced, we went into our first dance.

Listen along....but go back and pause the other song first because I don't know how to make a song end when starting a new one in blogger.  Meh.

We talked through most of the dance...since it was the first chance we really got to talk without people being right next to us or having to pose for pictures.  :)


 

 Leslie and Matt did an amazing job with these pictures and the lighting...GAH!


Here is where I started listening to the lyrics.  Insert ugly "trying not to cry" face.




After our first dance as husband and wife, my Dad got to talk.


Play Me 
and see above about pause...


Dad felt that since his little girl only gets married once, he was going to do it right.  I told him I'd like him to speak at the wedding, naturally and he was more than willing.  I asked him to be nice, only tell one embarrassing story and to keep it short.  Of those three, he kept to the first one.  He actually stated that at the beginning of his speech.  I shall use pictures to tell the story.

He starts off being very, very nice.

Our reactions are just the way you expect a bride and groom to react to a parent speaking at their wedding.

Then, he starts in about my "twin"....  
Check out the face on the DJ...even he is looking worried, wondering where he's headed with this one.

Me thinking, "He's not really going there, is he?"  
Dan thinking, "Who did I just marry!?!??!"

Let me explain.  

When I was a little girl, my parents used to call me Terrible Tilly when I was bad.  This was the nickname they used for me since they never could explain how I could go from being super sweet to super nasty to super sweet so quickly.  Dad went over a few stories about times when Tilly came to visit.  Mostly it had to do with me getting mad at them for being upset with me for me doing something wrong. (Yes, you read that right.)  I would then stomp up to my bedroom, sulk for a while, then come downstairs and act like nothing happened.  Oh yeah, I was an awesome child.  My Dad is super awesome for bringing all of that up at my wedding, too!!

He brings Mom in to discuss how he would get home from a work trip and Mom would tell him to go talk to "his daughter."  

I like the grimace on Dan's face and the, "Oh, no!" on mine.

My Dad's so cute, how can you stay mad at a face like this one?

Until he starts in about the time I pulled on the wheel and drove the car into a cornfield....


And then he got sentimental.  He told this story about how it snowed a foot and a half and at 16 years and one month, I said, "No problem, I can still drive to work."  And drive to work I did.  What I didn't know is what he told everyone; he followed me to work.  He waited a bit to make sure I had left and I wouldn't see him.  He drove all the way to the dog kennel, saw my car was safely in the parking lot and then drove all the way home.  He teared up on this one.  I had no idea he did that....

Even though it was long, even though I made faces and noises and said, "DAD!!!" a few times, his speech really showed his love for me.  It was so special.  I have it on video and I know I'll keep that forever.

Hugs


After Dad's 17 minute speech, my brother brought me a martini.  
He then took the mic.  
Then my MOM took the mic!

I really needed that martini...
See my Mom's reaction in the background?  That was her reaction to Drew taking the microphone.  Apparently she forgot all about that when she decided to take the mic after him and introduce everyone in the Baldwin/McQuaid family.  At the reception.  After my Dad's 18 minute speech.  Oy.

After the Baldwin family had their say, our reception coordinator came up to me and mentioned that we might need to change the timing of a few things because Dad's speech went so long!  

Taking a few deep breaths, we're going to go eat our dinner now, mingle with a few folks and we'll be back for MOH and BM speeches, as well as parent dances.

No comments: