Step One: Read More.
I definitely have stopped reading as much as I used to. My excuses? The house, the dogs, scrapbooking and um...maybe a bit of Facebook, too? Ok, I'll admit it, I spend WAY too much time on Facebook and the internet in general. Truthfully, no one else's lives are really that important to my daily life. Time to cut some of that out.
Before we moved to NC, I used to have a 3 hour commute (round trip) from Maryland to DC. My favorite part of that trip was when I was on the Marc train and spent that time eating up my latest paperback from the library. My goal for 2011 is to read more. A lot more. Thankfully my Mom helped feed this goal by getting me a Kindle for my birthday. We have a joint Kindle account, so anytime she buys a book, I can read it and v/v.
I try to limit my spending on books and only download free or very cheap books unless it is something I know will be a book I will read many times. There are a lot of really bad free books out there, but there are also a lot of really good cheap books to download to the Kindle. I follow a few sites that help me keep up with the free, cheap and notable books that are available for download.
- The Amazon Kindle Store. This is where we go to download books we want, as well as to get updates on new releases and books that are recommended based on other purchases.
- Pixel of Ink. You can follow them on Facebook or have them send you emails with updated posts.
- Books on the Knob. From what I can tell, they only have a Facebook page.
- Frugal Girls. I found this through Twitter. You can follow them on Twitter, Facebook or the web. You can also have them send you email updates. They send updates not just on books but on other deals and giveaways, as well.
- Your local library. Did you know that some libraries are now doing online books? You "rent" them for 14 days and then they are removed from your Kindle, computer, etc. We're lucky enough here in Wake County to have this at our local library.
In going through Google Reader yesterday, I ran across my friend Stephanie's blog where she mentioned she will be doing The 2011 Where Are You Reading Challenge. This caught my eye for a couple of reasons. Not only does it give me the ability to post all of the books I've read throughout the year, it introduced me to a new way to use Google Maps! I love learning new useful tools online, so this worked out great. If you're interested in this challenge, check out the details by clicking on the globe or the link above.
I've read two books so far this year. One I started in 2010, but finished most of it in 2011, so I'm including it in my map. The goal is to read a book in all 50 states in 2011. So far I have read one in Minnesota and one in Shanghai, China. The next book I'll be starting this week will put me in Alaska.
View JBH Book Tour 2011 in a larger map
I've read two books so far this year. One I started in 2010, but finished most of it in 2011, so I'm including it in my map. The goal is to read a book in all 50 states in 2011. So far I have read one in Minnesota and one in Shanghai, China. The next book I'll be starting this week will put me in Alaska.
View JBH Book Tour 2011 in a larger map
I'm going to try to keep after myself since this is a goal for 2011 and will post future blogs with my updated map as the year goes on.

2 comments:
Hi Jill I love your blog and your goals for 2011. I am thrilled you are joining in on the WHERE are you reading challenge and love your map! Have fun!
I love this idea with the map! I started my own, not with the intention of reading a book from each state, but just to see what the map looks like at the end of the year. I already have 3 continents involved! Fun idea.
Post a Comment