This was totally supposed to post yesterday. Ooops.
One year ago today, he asked me to marry him.
What I didn't mention in my previous engagement post was what really went on that day and the weeks leading up to it. When I visited my parents over Christmas, I talked to my parents about getting engaged and how expensive engagement rings are. I told them we were waiting because we didn't want to drop thousands of dollars on a ring. My Dad mentioned he had my Grandmother's rings somewhere. He hopped up and went looking for them. While he was looking, all I could think was I'm sure they'll be nice and all but they'll probably not be my style at all.
WRONG!
They were gorgeous! The rings had engravings inside that, when Googled, I found meant that they were made out of Platinum and made in the 1940's. I couldn't get a picture of it because it's so small but it says 10% Irid - Plat. Um, that's totally cool. A story to go along with them! My Dad offered them to me and I told him I would take them home and ask Dan what he thought.
Dan and I talked about the rings from my Dad and decided that my Grandmother's engagement ring was what I wanted when he proposed. He asked me multiple times if I was sure. He even told me we could take out the diamonds and change the setting if I wanted to. I told him there was no way I wanted to change the rings, they are absolutely perfect. So, we took the rings to a local jeweler a couple of days after I got home from Christmas at my parents and dropped them off for sizing. A week later, Dan had them in his hands. At this point, I can't do anything...or can I?
All through the month of January, I was trying to "make a perfect moment" for the proposal. That's right, I was that girl. I confess. I suggested we go out to eat at one of our favorite restaurants. I suggested we go for long walks. I suggested we go to the mountains to go hiking (um...yeah, that wasn't obvious at all considering we never do that).
None of this was working.
Then, magic happened. A certain friend told me that she found out through her Mom that Dan had called my parents and asked for their permission. Yes, everyone in my extended family, as well as almost everyone in my Mom's neighborhood knew he was going to propose soon except me. I might have scolded said friend for telling me this but secretly I WAS SO EXCITED!!!
Enter January 30th 2010. It has snowed the night before. In North Carolina. No, that's not normal. The good thing is I know Dan loves the snow. So, we went outside with the dogs for a while, playing in the snow. I tried to see if he was carrying anything....no luck. I turned my back on him a few times, hoping I would turn around and SURPRISE! ...nope. (man, I'm a jerk!!) Finally, I suggested a walk through the woods. That got poo-pooed b/c of the dogs, their leashes, tangling with branches, etc.
So...we went back inside. (insert sad face here) Since I was still dressed in winter clothes, I decided to go outside and get the bird seed to fill up the feeders. I put a towel on the kitchen floor to step on so I could scoot from the back door to the garage door where the bird feed was. Yes, I was too lazy to take my boots off just to have to put them back on again, so I scooted. Got the bird seed, filled up the cup and scooted back to the back door. When I got there...he was down on one knee.
Me: "What are you doing?"
Him: "I think there's something on the dog"
Me: (moving towards him) "Huh?"
Him: Will you marry me? (I have no idea what he really said, but I do know he said this at the end of it all).
He let go of the dog to pull himself up and hold the ring up to me.
Me: "I have birdseed in my hand!!"
Him: "Um...is that a yes?"
Me: "Of course!"
We're so romantic, the two of us. Doesn't it just send chills down your back, the amount of feeling you got out of that story? :) It doesn't matter. It's our story and it makes us happy. It's so US that is happened that way. I'll remember it always. Well, not so much the exact words that were said, other than the bird seed part, but the day in general.
After the proposal, I found out that he had called my parents a few days before. He got my Dad and asked him to put my Mom on the phone, as well. He knows both of my parents are equally important to me so he wanted to ask them both. Of course Mom was off partying somewhere so he asked Dad if he could ask me to marry him and my Dad finally, FINALLY got to say yes.


No comments:
Post a Comment