23 December 2010

Best Place for Mishaps - The Ceremony, of Course!

Thankfully, I didn't hear about the mishaps until afterwards and when I did, I laughed.  OH, how I laughed.

After our first look, Dan and Tom went to deal with getting his car to the reception site and getting over to the chapel.  Dad picked Lauren and me up and we went back to the house where we met up with the hairstylist who fixed some hair and make-up issues.  This was a great idea.  We had our hair and make-up done at the crack of 9am, so Marina offered to come back before the ceremony to touch all of us up.  It was great because we were looking a little wind-blown and Mom, unbeknown to me, had been running all over Southport while we were gone, so she needed a touch up, as well.

Lauren and Steve headed over to the chapel and finally, when Mom and I were ready, we hopped in the family car (Mom's new SUV) and drove over to the chapel.  There was no where to really "hide" so I just stood there next to the car with Dad, waiting for the late stragglers to find their way into the chapel.  Finally, we went to the back of the building.

Devin and Ben had handed out the programs 

The pew markers were up and perfect

The front row programs were all set-up

Our lanterns were hanging with candles lit along the walkway

The guests were in their seats and our violinist was up front keeping them entertained (hopefully).


Dad and I were hanging out back...

...while Dan walked his Mom up the aisle.  
That's his Dad behind them.  Everyone thought it would be a great idea to have his Dad walk right behind them.  I thought it was weird.  It is weird in the pictures, don't you think?  I figured his Dad would just be seated right before them.  Oh well, I was overruled at the rehearsal.

My brother walked my Mom up the aisle...

 and the two Mom's lit the unity side candles.

Finally, we're getting somewhere!

After all of this, Maura changed the song she was playing to In My Life.  This is where the "what I wish I had known at the rehearsal" comes in.  Maura started to play that song when the boys were getting ready to pull the aisle runner down.  I completely forgot that there was going to be a pulling of the runner.  I might have chosen a different song for that part.  Especially if I had known how long it was going to take....

Oh look, cute boys carrying the runner!  (Nephews Pete and Sam)

Huh.  Something's wrong...

Let's see if Mom can help pull that thing...

Ok, now Mom and Jill's brother Drew are going to help...

 Dr. Drew to the rescue!

Aunt Patti to the rescue!

 Waiting...

 Woohoo!  Finally down.  Now In My Life has been playing for 3 minutes.  Did you know that song has very few bars in it?  Makes for a very booooooooooooooooooooooooring violin song.  I had no idea!!!

 Hooray for Lauren finally walking down to the alter!

Finally!  Mary shut the door behind Lauren, waited to hear the music change and...

To the tune of Canon in D
 Dad finally gets to walk his little girl down the aisle.



So sweet.


 This is right after my Dad told Dan, "She's your problem now!"




Drew reading part of A Farewell to Arms by Earnest Hemingway.  Notice the phone in his hand?  A certain someone (I sheepishly raise my hand) forgot to hand out the readings before the ceremony!  Oh wait, I had a JOB on my wedding day other than to get married?  Oooops...forgot to delegate that one!  The siblings did well in recovery mode.  :)
At night, there was the feeling that we had come home, feeling no longer alone, waking in the night to find the other one there, and not gone away; all other things were unreal.  We slept when we were tired and if we woke the other one woke too so one was not alone.  Often a man wishes to be alone and a woman wishes to be alone too and if they love each other they are jealous of that in each other, but I can truly say we never felt that.  We could feel alone when we were together, alone against the others.  We were never lonely and never afraid when we were together.

Dan's sisters Pam and Beth reading a part of The Irrational Season by Madeline L'Engle  
Their reading was difficult and long, so I truly applaud both of them for reading for us.

But ultimately there comes a moment when a decision must be made.  Ultimately two people who love each other must ask themselves how much they hope for as their love grows and deepens, and how much risk they are willing to take.  It is indeed a fearful gamble.  Because it is the nature of love to create, a marriage itself is something which has to be created, so that, together we become a new creature.  

To marry is the biggest risk in human relations that a person can take.  If we commit ourselves to one person for life, this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession, but participation.  It takes a lifetime to learn another person.  When love is not possession, but participation, then it is part of that co-creation which is our human calling, and which implies such risk that it is often rejected.




We said traditional vows and had the traditional ring ceremony.


The candle lighting

 The Lord's Prayer

 Finally!  We're married!!!!!!!  

and only slightly excited by it all...


It was such a great feeling to finally be announced!




From there, we were sent to the parking lot to take a few minutes for ourselves to say, 
We did it!  We are Mr. and Mrs.!


No comments:

23 December 2010

Best Place for Mishaps - The Ceremony, of Course!

Thankfully, I didn't hear about the mishaps until afterwards and when I did, I laughed.  OH, how I laughed.

After our first look, Dan and Tom went to deal with getting his car to the reception site and getting over to the chapel.  Dad picked Lauren and me up and we went back to the house where we met up with the hairstylist who fixed some hair and make-up issues.  This was a great idea.  We had our hair and make-up done at the crack of 9am, so Marina offered to come back before the ceremony to touch all of us up.  It was great because we were looking a little wind-blown and Mom, unbeknown to me, had been running all over Southport while we were gone, so she needed a touch up, as well.

Lauren and Steve headed over to the chapel and finally, when Mom and I were ready, we hopped in the family car (Mom's new SUV) and drove over to the chapel.  There was no where to really "hide" so I just stood there next to the car with Dad, waiting for the late stragglers to find their way into the chapel.  Finally, we went to the back of the building.

Devin and Ben had handed out the programs 

The pew markers were up and perfect

The front row programs were all set-up

Our lanterns were hanging with candles lit along the walkway

The guests were in their seats and our violinist was up front keeping them entertained (hopefully).


Dad and I were hanging out back...

...while Dan walked his Mom up the aisle.  
That's his Dad behind them.  Everyone thought it would be a great idea to have his Dad walk right behind them.  I thought it was weird.  It is weird in the pictures, don't you think?  I figured his Dad would just be seated right before them.  Oh well, I was overruled at the rehearsal.

My brother walked my Mom up the aisle...

 and the two Mom's lit the unity side candles.

Finally, we're getting somewhere!

After all of this, Maura changed the song she was playing to In My Life.  This is where the "what I wish I had known at the rehearsal" comes in.  Maura started to play that song when the boys were getting ready to pull the aisle runner down.  I completely forgot that there was going to be a pulling of the runner.  I might have chosen a different song for that part.  Especially if I had known how long it was going to take....

Oh look, cute boys carrying the runner!  (Nephews Pete and Sam)

Huh.  Something's wrong...

Let's see if Mom can help pull that thing...

Ok, now Mom and Jill's brother Drew are going to help...

 Dr. Drew to the rescue!

Aunt Patti to the rescue!

 Waiting...

 Woohoo!  Finally down.  Now In My Life has been playing for 3 minutes.  Did you know that song has very few bars in it?  Makes for a very booooooooooooooooooooooooring violin song.  I had no idea!!!

 Hooray for Lauren finally walking down to the alter!

Finally!  Mary shut the door behind Lauren, waited to hear the music change and...

To the tune of Canon in D
 Dad finally gets to walk his little girl down the aisle.



So sweet.


 This is right after my Dad told Dan, "She's your problem now!"




Drew reading part of A Farewell to Arms by Earnest Hemingway.  Notice the phone in his hand?  A certain someone (I sheepishly raise my hand) forgot to hand out the readings before the ceremony!  Oh wait, I had a JOB on my wedding day other than to get married?  Oooops...forgot to delegate that one!  The siblings did well in recovery mode.  :)
At night, there was the feeling that we had come home, feeling no longer alone, waking in the night to find the other one there, and not gone away; all other things were unreal.  We slept when we were tired and if we woke the other one woke too so one was not alone.  Often a man wishes to be alone and a woman wishes to be alone too and if they love each other they are jealous of that in each other, but I can truly say we never felt that.  We could feel alone when we were together, alone against the others.  We were never lonely and never afraid when we were together.

Dan's sisters Pam and Beth reading a part of The Irrational Season by Madeline L'Engle  
Their reading was difficult and long, so I truly applaud both of them for reading for us.

But ultimately there comes a moment when a decision must be made.  Ultimately two people who love each other must ask themselves how much they hope for as their love grows and deepens, and how much risk they are willing to take.  It is indeed a fearful gamble.  Because it is the nature of love to create, a marriage itself is something which has to be created, so that, together we become a new creature.  

To marry is the biggest risk in human relations that a person can take.  If we commit ourselves to one person for life, this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession, but participation.  It takes a lifetime to learn another person.  When love is not possession, but participation, then it is part of that co-creation which is our human calling, and which implies such risk that it is often rejected.




We said traditional vows and had the traditional ring ceremony.


The candle lighting

 The Lord's Prayer

 Finally!  We're married!!!!!!!  

and only slightly excited by it all...


It was such a great feeling to finally be announced!




From there, we were sent to the parking lot to take a few minutes for ourselves to say, 
We did it!  We are Mr. and Mrs.!


No comments: